Friday, August 31, 2007

Joy...

"the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying" (random house dictionary)

My brother-in-law, Jason, wrote today in his monthly update from Baghdad: "the freshness of simple joy at being in the presence of people you love and people who love you is all the salve the soul needs to heal. I highly recommend big doses to everyone." I am in the midst of a big dose of simple joy at being in the presence of people I love and people who love me. I have a sweet baby girl--"perfect" the doctor said today. I must agree.

And as I tickled John with kisses tonight and watched him point to the gloves, lemon, digger truck, and kitty cat in First Colors, I knew that his birthday today is only a reminder of the fact he's two years old. After his bath this morning I said, "come here, sweet baby. I need to dry you off big boy. Well...which one is it?" Baby? Big boy? He'll always be my firstborn, my sweet introduction to motherhood, my little friend. But he's not my "baby" anymore. I have a new baby which makes it easier. But at the same time I look at her tiny face and know this doesn't last for long. So I'm basking in it, enjoying it, letting all the joy sink in deep.

0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by