Sunday, August 12, 2007

baby koala & mama bear

John and I are anticipating a new baby with our attitudes. He's become my baby koala. Today while I made our bean burritos for lunch (side note: I'm so lucky to have an "easy" husband who requests bean burritos for lunch 4 times a week!), John was literally hanging off my knees. With Hava hanging out all over my abdomen, I felt a little weighed down with children. What will I do when there are three or four? Maybe John won't cling then....

He's my baby koala bear. We have a favorite bedtime book called "Mama Mama" (and it's other half: "Papa Papa") where the baby animals say little poems to their mothers, telling the mamas how to care for them and of their love. I may have read the book to John one too many times. I see themes of the poems in his day-to-day activities: "Mama, mama, you are fine. You are clever, you are MINE!" Somewhere inside, he knows the days of just "mom and John" are dwindling down.

And if John is a baby koala, I have turned into a mama beast (perhaps bear sounds better, but it would have to be one of the fiercer types). Don't touch my kids! Don't mess with my kids! I'm considering going into hiding until the baby is out and my mind is stable and I stop scaring the world.

Some mothers say pregnancy is the most wonderful time of their lives. I am not part of that elite group. Pregnancy is a means to an end: a baby. And the baby becomes a sweet toddler and someday I will have adult children who, if I'm blessed, will want to be with me because they love me, beastly parts and all.

0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by