Tuesday, September 20, 2011

school is in session

We've decided to switch to homeschooling John for the rest of this kindergarten year, and to work with Hava on preschool activities while we're at it. I didn't want to get into such an undertaking without a designated room, so we transferred D to Hava's room and made his bedroom into the homeschool room.

There's still work to be done on the school room, but here's a glimpse of where we're at now:





On our first day, we took a walk to look for seeds in nature.


Hard at work!


John has discovered three of the benefits of homeschooling: your craft supplies are always available, you can craft topless, and a snack of almonds can find its way into the classroom.


Along with schooling at home, we have initiated mandatory quiet time every afternoon. Half an hour of kids plus books--in their own space--means I get a little break midday. Hava fell asleep during quiet time yesterday:


I am open to any and all suggestions for schooling kids at home. I think we have a good plan in place for this year. But I know I am a greenhorn and am ready to learn, right alongside my kids.

{Billy and I refinished the school table from an old wooden table found on craigslist. Neither of us had undertaken a project like this before, and it was fun to work on together. Now we need to finish the chairs...}

0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by