Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace

A few months ago, my talented sister-in-law, Elizabeth, created two calligraphy pieces for our home. The first is of Psalm 1, one of Billy's favorite scriptures.


The second piece is the "prayer of Assisi" which says:

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.



I love this prayer, and want to be the kind of person who matches these ideals. Yet when I begin to pray, I can't get past the first line: Lord, make me an instrument of peace. In my home, in my church, in my friendships, in my extended family...I desire to be at peace--and to be one who imparts peace and love. I may never make it on to the second line of the prayer (especially when the weariness of caring for little kids gets the best of me)...but I will keep praying. What a blessing that it is God who does the changing, if I will just be changeable!

0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by