Tuesday, December 11, 2007

latkes

We're in the midst of Hanukkah so I made homemade latkes a couple nights ago (no, I'm not Jewish, just fascinated with latkes). They were amazingly delicious so I thought I'd share the recipe. It comes from one of John's favorite library books these days: Hanukkah, O Hanukkah (he picked it out!).

Latkes
5 medium potatoes, peeled
2 eggs
1/2 cup finely chopped onion or scallions
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp crushed dried parsley

Grate the potatoes. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Beat the eggs and add them to the grated potatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Lightly cover the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil. Heat the oil on medium/medium high and then scoop spoonfuls of latke mixture into the pan (about the size of small pancakes). Brown latkes on both sides. Let them cool slightly on paper towels and then enjoy! Traditionally, they're eaten with sour cream or applesauce but I ate them with ketchup and ranch dressing--now you know I'm not Jewish! (-:

0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by