Friday, October 19, 2007

peace and quiet...

The only thing worse than one unhappy little kid is more than one unhappy little kid. My challenge in life right now is that--how to keep at least one babe happy at all times (preferably two). I would give a lot to have a full day without anyone yelling in my ear. To keep sane, I look ahead to days when my children are grown and don't "need" me for much. A bittersweet thought.

Yesterday in Fry's (a grocery store, for you NW folks), I met a woman who literally gasped with delight when she spotted Hava in her sack. She said, "Tomorrow is my 73rd birthday, so I probably won't be getting any more babies. Can I please look at your baby??" Of course, I let her peek in on the peacefully sleeping Havilah. The woman was alone and I don't know if she has family but her comments were a good reminder from the Lord. In 50 years I will probably long for this time of life; the hard moments of diaper blowouts, too short naps, and burps that just won't come out will be long forgotten. I need the reminders: this too shall pass; count your blessings; life is but a mist; the only things that last are God, his words, and people.

1 comments:

GrannyNanny said...

We met an old lady (visiting a nursing home) when Jenni was about 4 1/2 and Brian was an infant and she commented similarly. She hadn't held a baby in so many years, so I let her hold Brian. It was rewarding to see the smile on her face and I could tell she was remembering her children and grandchildren as babies many years ago. We continued to visit her for a few years before she passed away, letting her hold Matt when he came along, too. She loved our visits and holding my babies! It's a good reminder of how we have to soak up every moment with our kids (and grandkids) and appreciate them to the fullest.
I love reading your blog, Elizabeth - you write so well and the pictures are really fun to see. Keep it up! Nancy Burg

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by