Friday, October 19, 2012

Growing

Hello, it's been a while and it's so nice to see you again. (-:

Yesterday, the kids went swimming for probably the last time this year. The water is cold. But they were happy to be splashing around!




While they swam, I got down on my hands and knees to see if I could find any blades of freshly planted winter grass. I did find a couple short blades...certainly not a lush lawn. I sighed and hoped we would have at least some soft grass for the kids to play in during our beautiful fall and winter months.

Today I awoke to find a yard full of green. While I slept, the lawn appeared. It's growing! Immediately I remembered a speaker from the homeschool convention who said "No one plants a lemon tree and looks for lemons two months later. Fruit trees take years to produce." I'm not growing lemons--and I'm only slightly interested in growing grass--but I am growing people. Sometimes I see buds on their trees. Other times, blossoms. And I'm confident fruit will ripen for harvest later. How helpful to remember that all my repetitive, sometimes tedious, never-ending work in my orchard will not produce fruit for today. No, the harvest will be enjoyed for many years to come if I care for my little people well today. And tomorrow.

When I get a whiff of fresh blossom scent, I'm hopeful. One day I'll wake up and see that while I was busy working and waiting, my children were developing under the surface. The Master Gardener is at work, if only I will work under His expert care myself and entrust my garden to His touch.

0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by