Sunday, April 5, 2009

sweetly innocent

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Havilah has her Daddy quite bewitched with her beauty and charm. He took these pictures of her a few days ago (never mind the dirty mirror; I do clean it...but little hands always like to congratulate me on a job well done... "oh mom, this mirror looks great; I can't keep my hands off it!")


I need happy thoughts like the sweet innocence and naivety that comes from being a loved and cared for toddler. Today has been a day full of sad news and difficult thoughts. After hearing about the tragic death of a girl I knew from camp days, I was crying on the couch. John came and kissed my teary cheek and said, "Mom, [be] happy!" 

I told him, "No, John, Mama can't be happy right now because somebody died. I'm sad." 

"Oh" he said and gave me another kiss. After all, kisses make everything better, at least for a moment.

This morning the sermon was about getting our lives right in case today is our last day on earth. The pastor asked us what we would do if we knew tonight was the night. Would we tell someone we loved them? Would we offer forgiveness? Would we finally confess that nagging sin? How real this thought is to me tonight as I contemplate the tragedies I have heard of today. I pray that Billy and I can live together until we're old and senile but if one of us should face death when we are young--or if one of our children dies before us--then I pray that I will have the grace to be faithful and strong.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you knew them. It is a great day when a kiss makes it better, today is hard I am so sorry!
Beautiful photos of Havilah :)
-Adrienne

 
Copyright © 2010 m & m : musings and mothering. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by